Congratulations on supporting your child’s passion for mountain biking! As a parent, you understand the importance of encouraging your child to pursue their interests and dreams.
Here at Gravity Nelson we encourage parents of budding mountain bike racers to consider writing a fun and friendly “sponsorship” agreement between the parent (the sponsor who is providing financial support for the child to undertake the activity) and the child (who is the racer).
A formal but fun sponsorship agreement between a parent and their child for racing mountain bikes can have numerous advantages. Here are a few of them:
1. Teaches life skills:
A sponsorship agreement teaches children the importance of responsibility, accountability, and hard work. By setting expectations for chores, grades, and behavior, children learn valuable life skills that will serve them well in the future.
2. Helps children understand the value of support:
Children may take for granted the support they receive from their parents. A sponsorship agreement helps them understand the value of this support and how much it costs in terms of time, effort, and money. It also helps them appreciate the sacrifices their parents make to help them pursue their passion.
3. Provides an appreciation of the importance of reward for good behavior:
A sponsorship agreement can reinforce positive behavior by providing incentives for good grades, good behavior, and responsibility. Children learn that hard work and good behavior are rewarded, and this can help them develop a strong work ethic and a sense of responsibility.
4. Helps children learn the requirements of a possible future adult sponsorship agreement:
A sponsorship agreement can prepare children for the requirements of a future adult sponsorship agreement should they become successful mountain bike racers. It can help them understand what sponsors expect in terms of performance, behavior, and responsibility.
5. Encourages parent-child bonding:
A sponsorship agreement can provide an opportunity for parents and children to bond over a shared interest. By participating in the sport together, parents and children can create memories that will last a lifetime.
Overall, a formal but fun sponsorship agreement between a parent and their child for racing mountain bikes can have many benefits beyond just the sport itself. It can teach children valuable life skills, help them appreciate the support they receive, and prepare them for future sponsorships. It can also provide an opportunity for parent-child bonding and create lasting memories.
A Template You Can Use:
This sponsorship agreement template below outlines the terms and conditions of your sponsorship as a parent to your child, the mountain bike racer.
By signing this agreement, you agree to provide your child with the following:
- Bikes and equipment: You will provide your child with a mountain bike and equipment that are appropriate for their skill level and the style of races they wish to participate in. This includes everything from a sturdy mountain bike to a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, neck brace, and gloves.
- Maintenance costs: You will cover the costs of maintaining the bikes and equipment, including tune-ups, repairs, and upgrades. This ensures that your child’s bike is always in tip-top shape and ready to tackle any trail or race.
- Coaching and training days: You will arrange for your child to receive coaching and attend training days to help them develop their skills and technique. This includes everything from learning proper braking and cornering techniques to how to navigate technical terrain.
- Transport and Shuttles: You will provide transportation for your child to and from mountain biking trails and events. This means you’ll be driving them to the trails, picking them up after a ride, and taking them to any competitions they participate in. You will also agree a budget for occasional shuttles to the top of trails for riding practice and training.
- Race entry fees: You will cover all race entry fees for your child to compete in an agreed schedule of mountain biking events. This includes entry fees for local races as well as bigger regional and national events.
In exchange for your support, your child agrees to the following terms:
- Doing chores: Your child agrees to complete assigned household chores in a timely and responsible manner. This includes everything from washing dishes to vacuuming the living room. You may wish to list certain specific chores and the time period they would be performed.
- Getting good grades: Your child agrees to maintain good grades in school, as education is a priority. This means studying for exams and turning in assignments on time.
- Maintaining good behavior: Your child agrees to maintain good behavior at home and in school, avoiding disciplinary issues. This means no trouble with teachers or classmates and treating everyone with kindness and respect.
- Cleaning and maintaining their bike and equipment: Your child agrees to keep their bikes and equipment clean and in good condition, performing basic maintenance regularly. This includes everything from cleaning their bike after a ride to making sure the tires are properly inflated, the chain oiled, etc.
- Thanking the sponsor: Your child agrees to express gratitude and appreciation to you, the sponsor, for your support and investment in their success. This means giving you a hug and thanking you for everything you do to help them pursue their passion. If they get on the race podium they are required to look happy and excited and yell out “thanks mum and dad for sponsoring me!”.
In addition to the above, you and your child may agree to additional terms based on your specific situation. For example, you may want to set a limit on the number of events your child participates in per year or require them to attend a certain number of coaching sessions per month.
It’s important to remember that this sponsorship agreement is a two-way street. Your child will only receive the benefits of your support if they fulfill their end of the bargain. As the sponsor, you’re investing in your child’s future and providing them with the tools and support they need to succeed. In return, you expect them to work hard, stay focused, and be responsible.
Keep It Fun:
But it’s not all business! Mountain biking is a fun and exciting sport, and you and your child should enjoy it together. Spend time exploring new trails, practicing skills together, and cheering each other on during races. Take photos and videos of your adventures and share them with family and friends. The memories you make will last a lifetime.
In conclusion, this sponsorship agreement provides a framework for supporting and encouraging your child’s passion for mountain biking. By providing bikes and equipment, maintenance costs, coaching and training days, shuttles, and race entry fees, you’re giving your child the tools they need to succeed, while at the same time teaching them valuable lessons for life and future participation in the sport they love.