Recently one of Gravity Nelson’s family of rippers outgrew his 24″ wheel Transition Ripcord and was ready to make the step up to 27.5″ wheels. As he is still not very tall we designed a custom build that would still enable him to have a smaller stand-over height, and keep the weight down.
We eventually settled on the Santa Cruz 5010 CC, combining light weight and a stand-over height almost an inch lower than the Bronson of the same size (small).
The final build was a combination of relatively economic stock parts and a few custom tweaks.
The details of some of the build decisions are provided below.
- Brakes: SRAM LevelT, cheaper and with plenty of stopping power for a fella who weighs less than 40 kilos! (and don’t forget the all important Santa Cruz glow-in-the-dark grips!).
2. Fork: Fox 34 Air, lighter, travel perfectly matched to the frame, and fully air adjustable to the weight of the rider.
3. Shock: Fox Float air, light weight and fully adjustable to the riders weight.
4. Dropper: KS, cheaper option with a short drop.
5. Drive System: Combination of Stock Sram GX build and a shorter RaceFace crank (170cm) and a smaller (28t) RaceFace chainring.
6. Stem: swapped the stock stem for a 50mm RaceFace stem (not shown).
And here’s the final bike in action!!
At just a bit under 14 kilos there are probably a few more tweaks we could make to get the weight further down on the build, most likely a change to a more expensive wheelset and rear cassette would make a substantial difference.
For information or questions about a custom Santa Cruz Bicycles build for you or someone in your family please get in touch.