140 Bridge St. Nelson 7010
03 545 8484
Nelson based Workshop bike mechanic (Spring/Summer, part-time/casual or contractor position).
Qualifications: Formal cycle mechanic training or at least 2 years full time employment in the cycle trade
Why work for Gravity Nelson? At Gravity Nelson we are passionate about seeing mountain bikers progress and maximise their biking experience. We want Gravity to be a world class mountain biking hub that helps lead Nelson to be an internationally recognised mountain biking destination.
We created Gravity Nelson to help passionate mountain bikers of all skills level up their biking experience and speed up the progression and fun of their riding experience.
Gravity Nelson was founded by Alistair and John who are both passionate mountain bikers and want to support riders through every element of their riding experience through education, coaching, bike customisation and riding facilitation. They live by their values of doing things once and doing it right, giving 100% to all they do, being inclusive of all people and abilities, being respectful and helpful, and being environmentally conscious and not wasteful.
John and Alistair have a massive amount of experience in the mountain biking industry and can help mentor and train staff to further their personal progression in the mountain bike industry.
Nelson is already famous for the incredible range of world-class mountain biking in the region (over 400kms of single-track within 45 minutes drive of the CBD), a relaxed vibe, the stunning summers, and the very mild winters, and a vibrant mountain bike ride and race scene, making it the perfect place to move to if you are love riding and want to get out there and improve your riding skills and live a riding based lifestyle.
Nelson is very central to many other outdoor activities within the “top of the south”. There is so much to explore within a couple of hours drive. Nelson Lakes is close for hiking and mountaineering, Murchison is close enough to do day trips for whitewater kayaking. Paynes Ford and Pohara is just over the hill in golden bay, and is famous for its rock climbing. The Marlborough sounds are just around the corner and the east and west coasts are within range for weekend trips.
Gravity is a small team of passionate mountain bikers with extensive experience in the mountain bike industry. We are looking for similarly passionate individuals to join our team and help us to progress the riding of all our customers and clients, whether it is by providing excellent mechanic servicing, driving the shuttles, coaching riders, or just pitching in and helping the club at races and with trail maintenance and building.
The role of Summer workshop mechanic includes but is not limited to the following tasks on a given work day
- Serving customers first and foremost and answering any questions and inquiries in a friendly and respectful manner and building relationships with customers over the long term.
- Ensuring that workshop and rental bookings are fulfilled- checking the Gravity Nelson Calendar, Workshop diary daily and doing a thorough walk-through of the shop each morning
- Checking and maintaining rental bikes to high standards after every use. Updating the workshop rental bike maintenance log as needed
- Repairing and servicing customer bikes and ordering parts as needed
- Keeping the workshop clean and tidy and assisting with stock management through organisation of parts and invoices. Ordering of consumables for workshop as needed and making note of what was ordered for stock/customer/consumable
- Ensure bins are out on time for collection and that recyclable materials are re-used or recycled correctly. Ensuring proper disposal of non-recyclable materials.
- Keep communication open with management staff members regarding issues that may arise
- Promotional work at trailheads involving talking to mountain bikers and some basic repair work outside of the normal work site
- Being a good ambassador for the company when riding or racing mountain bikes
- Answering the phone and answering questions and inquiries as needed
- Some light social media duties
- Any skills, experience or interest in mountain bike coaching and/or trail building and/or shuttle driving (either having or willing to get a P license) are a plus.
We are looking for someone who
– Is a passionate, non-judgmental, mountain biker keen to progress others in the sport
– Is energetic, loves the outdoors, and is excited about helping others
– Loves people, loves mountain biking, has an infectious smile and enthusiasm, and a solid work-ethic
– Has a team spirit and works well with others
– Can demonstrate solid mechanic skills, an ability to problem solve, and a keenness to learn.
The role will primarily be based at Gravity Nelson HQ (140 Bridge street) but flexibility with locations of work is required.
Flexibility is required and hours will range widely depending on the workload in the shop. The role really is casual or contract and most likely to be part-time not full-time. This works both ways and as an employer, we are flexible with making hours work for your desired lifestyle/needs.
Interested? Please email us your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org