We are Nelson’s Mountain Biking Hub
We’re Gravity Nelson and we’re passionate about seeing mountain bikers progress and maximise their biking experience. We created Gravity to be a world class mountain biking hub that helps lead Nelson to be an internationally recognised mountain biking destination.
We created Gravity Nelson for passionate mountain bikers of all skills who want to level up their biking experience and speed up the progression and fun of their riding experience.
Gravity Nelson was founded by Alistair and John who are both passionate mountain bikers and want to support riders through every element of their riding experience through education, coaching, bike customisation and riding facilitation. We live by our values of doing things once and doing it right, giving 100% to everything we do, being inclusive of all people and abilities, being respectful and helpful, and being environmental conscious and not wasteful.
Gravity Nelson is your one-stop-shop for making the most of the amazing riding in and around Nelson. Nelson is blessed with 400+kms (and growing) of widely varied, incredible quality, single-track within a 45 minute drive of the CBD. This makes Nelson unique as a mountain biking destination or as a place to live as a mountain biker. With so much to choose from, Gravity Nelson is here with all the advice, information, support, coaching, shuttles, accessories, parts, bicycles and workshop services you might need.
Please take some time to explore our website and check out all of the different ways we can assist you.
Get the dirt on riding around Nelson.
The wide range of incredible riding in the region can often be confusing or overwhelming, as such we offer free riding & trail advice to make it easier for you to hit the right trails. We are happy to chat with you online, over the phone, or in person to point you in the right direction.
- Friendly, free advice about mountain bike riding around Nelson
- Maps, apps, and guidebooks
- Nelson Mountain Bike Club information, and advice on supporting Nelson’s awesome trail builders
- Check out some amazing videos of the incredible mountain bike riding possible in the Nelson region.
Full Service Bicycle shop with Workshop & mechanics
- Full bike service and spa!
- Special-order bike parts and supplies both in-store, and ONLINE
- Custom bike builds and off-the-shelf builds from famous brands like Santa Cruz Bicycles, Evil, Mondraker and Transition.
- We can install and set up parts you bought cheap on the internet!
- More details HERE.
Fantastic full-suspension premium mountain bike rentals and demos
- “Acoustic” rental mountain bikes:
- Santa Cruz Nomad, Bronson or Hightower, Transition Patrol, Evil Offering or Following: Half-day $89 / Full-day $159
- Electric mountain bikes:
- Mondraker full suspension ebikes: Half-day $139 / Full-day $199
- Santa Cruz Heckler 2020 full suspension ebike: Half-day $199 / Full-day $259
- Special rates for multi-day hires
- More details HERE or BOOK NOW with the button on the top right of this page.
All bike rentals are specifically set up for YOU and the Nelson trails and include FREE helmet and knee protection. More details HERE. Our Rental fleet is also our demo fleet. Ride one of our great rentals, and if you buy a bike from us we will refund you the bike rental fee.
Mountain bike shuttles: Maximise the fun!
Nelson is famous for the length of its descents, and somewhat infamous for the brutality of the uphills, with many climbs exceeding 600m vertical. Locals and Out-of-towners alike wanting to make the most of the trail network can get in touch about Gravity’s shuttle services. As one of only two shuttle concessionaires in the region, Gravity gives you exclusive access to a wide variety of Nelson’s trails without the pain of the uphills. We provide shuttle services for private groups, public groups, and “casual shuttle days” (the later can use ten-trip shuttle tickets to save some money). We have concessions to operate shuttles on a wide variety of DOC, NCC, and Ngati Koata land as well as some private facilities such as the Cable Bay Adventure Park. You can look at upcoming scheduled shuttles HERE, or use the BOOK NOW button to check a calendar of available days.
- Half-day (3 runs) $25/run/person (minimum 4 people)
- Full-day (5 runs) $25/run/person (minimum 4 people)
- Nelson Mountain Bike club members receive a 10% discount on shuttles, and a club membership or short-term riding permit is required for riding or shuttling on Ngati Koata owned land.
- Ten-trip shuttle tickets can be purchased in the shop or from the shuttle driver for $200 and can be used on our “casual shuttle days”.
- Looking for inspiration on what to shuttle, check out our advice and ideas HERE.
- More details HERE or BOOK NOW
Our coaching philosophy revolves around working with you to tailor the course to your needs, to the skills you want to develop or the trail problems you want to solve. For people to focus on technique it is usually helpful to strip out fear and risk that might exist on harder tracks, and often the stress of harder trails makes it harder to learn. We focus on the building blocks solidly before getting into anything with higher risk. We don’t have a fixed curriculum, the courses evolve dynamically based on your interests, your level, and your progress. We focus on PROGRESSION in a supportive, safe, and fun environment. Our passionate and expert coaches are here to help you level up your skills in a wide variety of areas:
- After School Coaching programs for a variety of levels of school aged riders, there are offered every term of the year.
- Adult multi-part courses focusing on particular skills (“Sendy Sundays”, “Tackling Technical Terrain”, etc)
- Women’s only coaching (“Queen of the Mountains”) courses.
- Private bespoke courses on a wide variety of skills including Cornering, Body Position, Drops and Jumps, Freelap digital timing, and more.
- Courses in a wide variety of locations including our private “Field of Dreams”, Codgers, Sharlands, Wairoa Gorge, Cable Bay Adventure Park and more.
- More details HERE or use the BOOK NOW button to check a calendar of available days or check out upcoming scheduled courses HERE
Expertly guided mountain bike rides around Nelson
- 4-hr Beginner or Intermediate Nelson Trails Orientation Ride
- Rameka, The Wairoa Gorge, Involution, Intermediate Sharlands or Codgers trails and much more…
- Guided Coppermine/Dun Mountain Loop (approx. 4-6hrs)
- All levels of multi-day guided trips are available, from three day “shuttle only” options to ten-day “full-service” guide/accommodation/shuttle/food packages.
- More details HERE.
We’ll go even if you are the only one! Half-day guided packages start at only $199 for the first two people, additional people are $75 each. Add half-day premium mountain bike rental for the special price of ONLY +$75 per bike!