Passionate Mountain Biker wanted.
Gravity Nelson is based in the sunny mountain biking mecca of Nelson, where the riding is spectacular, the winters are mild, and the summers are off-the-hook. Our bike shop offers a central hub for mountain bikers to plan how to make the most of the riding in and around Nelson, providing free trail advice, full-mechanic services, bike sales, rental bikes, coaching, guiding and shuttles. Our small team of staff are passionate and non-judgmental mountain bikers keen to help other riders progress in this fantastic sport in this amazing region. Our staff are all multi-talented and willing and able to fill a range of roles at the drop of a hat. We are keen to find someone to join our team with good admin and customer services skills who is also qualified and capable as a guide/coach and shuttle-driver. Positions are also available for talented and experienced bike mechanics.
Mountain Biking Industry Rockstar wanted:
An exciting opportunity in the mountain biking mecca of Nelson, New Zealand. A key role in the mountain biking community for a multi-talented individual keen to build their experience in all aspects of the mountain bike industry under mentorship from an extremely experienced team.
The core of the role is acting as our customer service/admin representative with additional hours available for part-time coaching, guiding and shuttle driving. This role is flexible enough that the selected applicant can choose to eventually focus on developing their most preferred roles to an extremely high level.
Qualifications and Experience required;
- An organised, proactive and independent individual with a positive attitude and an inclusive passionate attitude about progressing other people’s riding and ensuring they have an excellent experience while mountain biking in the Nelson region.
- Basic admin experience including computer competence with cloud based documents, spreadsheets, social media platforms and administrative / booking systems.
- Induction, training and mentorship will be provided to the successful applicant depending on their needs.
- Mountain bike coaching qualifications: eg Cycling NZ Accreditation, PMBI, Skills Active or NZOIA
- Outdoor first aid, ideally a PHEC or Wilderness First Aid qualification
- Outdoor leadership qualification
- While it is preferred that coaches have these qualifications already, it is not essential. It is more important that you are passionate, motivated and willing to teach others and grow your skills.
- Coaches who do not yet have these qualifications will need to be willing to work towards formal qualifications such as PHEC & NZOIA MTB1.
- Experience/knowledge of the cycle trade
- Has an understanding of basic bike mechanics and components, and a willingness to learn more.
- Passenger (p) license or willingness to get one
Duties, roles and responsibilities:
Customer Service/Admin: As the point of first contact for many of Gravity Nelson’s customers your duties will include
- Serving customers first and foremost and answering any questions and inquiries in a friendly and respectful manner and building relationships with customers over the long term.
- Answering the phone and answering online and walk-in questions and inquiries as needed
- Checking emails and answering inquiries or passing on to other staff members to answer
- Taking an active role in regular social media posts and promotions
- Ensuring that workshop and rental bookings are fulfilled- checking the Gravity Nelson Calendar, Workshop diary daily and doing a thorough walk-through of the shop each morning
- Communicating with customers, sorting and booking activities such as shuttles and coaching, informing staff of what’s happening during the week.
In addition to the Customer Service and Admin role, extra work is available in the field coaching, guiding, and shuttle driving. Each of these roles have their own requirements which can come from your previous experience or a willingness to be trained and become appropriately qualified.
- Knowledge of Gravity Nelson Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and following these for trips
- Remaining Positive and motivated to teach people while balancing criticism and giving accurate feedback
- Assessing strengths and weaknesses in a participant’s performance and identifying areas for further development
- Adapting to the needs and interests of group or individual participants
- Must be a team player- team-work makes the dream work!
- Some trail-side mechanic experience and knowledge is required.
- Planning and running programs for groups and individuals of all ages
- Maintaining own gear up to date and standards including 1st Aid kit, Bike etc.
- Assessing clients bike and set up to their needs
- Keeping record of participants performance and progress
- Communicating instructions and commands using clear and simple language in well structured lesson plans
Shuttle Driver: part-time and occasional work driving the Gravity Nelson shuttle vehicles around the region:
- Ensuring all paperwork and trip related admin work is correctly and accurately completed in a timely manner.
- Providing excellent customer experiences to mountain bike shuttle customers including helpful advice, safely securing bikes to the trailers, and bringing a positive and passionate attitude to each shuttle session.
- Safely and carefully driving in accordance with Gravity Nelson’s H&S plan and SOPs.
- Obeying all road and forestry rules at all times.
- Carefully driving the vehicle to maximise the customer experience and look after the shuttle vehicles and trailers.
- Participating in regular cleaning, checking and maintenance of the trailer and vehicles.
The role will primarily be based out of Gravity Nelson HQ – 140 Bridge Street, Nelson 7010
Flexibility is required and hours will range from 28-50 hours per week depending on work load and season, this works both ways and as an employer, we are flexible with making hours work for your desired lifestyle/needs.
A prerequisite for this position is to hold:
NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit.
Please visit our website www.gravitynelson.co.nz and Facebook and Instagram to have a good look at our offerings and philosophy before contacting us on email@example.com for more details and a full job description.
We look forward to hearing from you!