After School Mountain Biking Program powered by Gravity Nelson.
We are excited to be able to introduce a Mountain Biking Development Squad for Intermediate and High School aged children
Each term the course will run for 8 weeks of the term and consist of:
- 1x 2-hour supervised and coached session per week (4:15 to 6:15 on either a Monday or a Thursday).
- plus: optional weekend activities (sign up online before end of the Thursday for the session or sessions available at the published cost).
We will be opening the course to INTERMEDIATE (Monday) and ADVANCED (thursday) mountain bikers. Beginner or recreational mountain bikers can get in touch for private lessons to get them up to speed to be able to join the team in later terms. The team will focus on learning new techniques, refining their skills, learning how to learn, sessioning sections, use of video capture for skills analysis, and much more. We will bring guest instructors along for some sessions.
Parents or students interested in the course should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or pop by the Gravity Nelson shop at 140 Bridge street to talk. If you would like to register your son for the Development program please make sure to give us their full name, age, class, preferred day, and phone number. We will do an assessment session to help assign kids to the best group for their skill level.
Gravity Nelson will provide one coach/guide who is qualified and first-aid trained for each session. Parents are welcome to join and learn alongside the kids (if they can keep up 😉 to help us achieve a safe supervision ratio, please contact us if you are interested in this. One Instructor/Parent/Teacher will be required for each 5 students, so spaces in the program are limited by teacher and parent availability. If there is sufficient demand Gravity can make available additional instructors to take extra groups, extra sessions, or additional days during the week.
Mountain Biking Team Term One costs are:
- $30 per session per child x 8 sessions per term paid in advance = $240 for the term.
- Additional weekend activities will have supervision or transport costs associated with them, but are optional. We will try and offer one or two activities per month. Examples might include:
- A morning of 3 shuttle runs on a given trail, under guided supervision.
- A longer supervised ride.
- Specific training on a track for an upcoming race.
- A longer transfer and shuttle and guide to a more remote track.
- Wet weather activity alternatives will be provided for the week day sessions (bike maintenance, nutrition, off-the-bike training, athlete professionalism, first aid, etc)
- Participants are required to have a mountain bike in good working order (we will conduct regular safety checks on them), Personal Protective equipment including a helmet in good condition and knee pads, and personal tools and water and snacks. The kids in the advanced group must have full-face helmets and are recommended to have a neck brace.
- ´We expect participants to naturally form supportive riding groups which can advance their skills outside of course hours, the team will be a spring board to more independent riding.
- We may be able to offer additional sessions depending on demand, support, etc.